About Secret History

Commentary on Latin America.
Mostly about Mexico - but not always.
Designed to encourage readers to learn about
the apparently "secret history" of 500 million people
spread across two continents
- but not always.
You can always count on a little snark.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthdays, All Around

Today marks the day that "Secret History" got up and running. November 13th marked the first posting. It so happens that SH shares the same birthday as the U.S. Marine Corps. So, to mark the occasion, I think it is fitting to hear from a U.S. Marine about Latin America:
I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. Major General Smedley Butler, USMC, War is a Racket, 1935.
Happy birthday Secret History... and happy birthday USMC.
"From the Halls of Montezuma... "

PS. Secret History also shares this birthday with Sesame Street. Vivas for Plaza Sesamo.


No comments: